It may be hard for the bad guys to resist these pups.
But soon, these dogs will be full-fledged RCMP officers – the canine kind.
Thirteen puppies born at the RCMP Police Dog Service Training Centre (PDSTC) now have names, thanks to boys and girls representing every province and territory in Canada.
The PDSTC received almost 16,000 entries to this year’s Name the Puppy contest.
“The training centre staff had a great time sorting through all the entries,” said Insp. Akrum Ghadban, the Officer in Charge of the Police Dog Service Training Centre. “Congratulations to the 13 winners and I look forward to hearing about the success of these newest RCMP recruits.”
All names had to start with the letter J. For multiple entries of the same name, winners were selected at random.
The 13 winners will each receive a certificate, an 8×10-inch laminated photo of the puppy they named, a plush German Shepherd toy dog named Justice and an RCMP cap.
The winning entries are:
- Jango: Shayola Cochrane (Whitehorse, Yukon)
- Jolt: Amelie Pardy (Happy Valley-Goose Bay, N.L.)
- Jade: Travis MacDonald (Kensington, P.E.I.)
- Jorgia: Ally Gates (Treherne, Man.)
- Jude: Lacey Eldridge (Condor, Alta.)
- Jix: Mathis Paumier (Montreal, Que.)
- Jett: Lucas Anthony (Battleford, Sask.)
- Jax: Daniel Machmer (Pangnirtung, Nunavut)
- Juno: Meagan Lee (Yellowknife, N.W.T.)
- Java: Sydney Bryson (Kamloops, B.C.)
- Jinx: Lola Kirincich (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- Jazz: Matthew Stewardson (Thunder Bay, Ont.)
- Jake: Dylan Boudreau (Le Goulet, N.B.)
RCMP police service dog teams are a vital part of front line policing.
They search for missing or lost people, track and apprehend criminals, remove illicit drugs from the streets, detect explosives and search for and recover evidence used in crimes.
The Police Dog Service Training Centre-an integral part of RCMP “Depot” Division-is the national training centre in Canada for all RCMP police dog teams.
93-percent of the German Shepherds working as RCMP service dogs were born at the Centre as part of the RCMP Police Dog Breeding Program.