Macklin RCMP says there have been numerous complaints of Break and Enters and Property theft in the community over the last few weeks.
According to the mounties, thieves are targeting unlocked vehicles, storage lots/units and travel trailers.
RCMP say there are many steps residents can take to deter thieves:
- Ensure firearms are not left in your vehicles/trailers or storage units.
- Ensure any firearms are stored securely and locked where required by law.
- Make sure serial numbers for firearms or big items such as power tools or electronics are documented.
- Make sure you have a stronger than average lock on doors to trailers or storage units.
- Don’t leave valuables like wallets, keys, personal identification, spare change in your vehicle.
- Avoid parking your vehicles in dark areas near trees or fences where your view is obstructed.
- If you have one, park your vehicle in the garage.
- If you have the means, set up video surveillance of some sort.
- Make it as difficult and time consuming as possible for a thief to break into or steal your property.
RCMP say this may not stop the crime from occurring, however thieves usually pick easy targets.