A suspect is dead after RCMP thwarted what an official said was a suicide bomb plot.
A senior police official said late Wednesday the suspect allegedly planned to use a bomb to carry out a suicide bombing mission in a public area but was killed in a police operation.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about details ahead of a Thursday news conference, identified the suspect as Aaron Driver.
Driver, originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, and in his mid-20s, was under a court order from earlier this year to not associate with any terrorist organization, including the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
A police operation continued well into Wednesday night in the southern Ontario town of Strathroy, about 225 kilometres southwest of Toronto.
Meantime, transit agencies in Toronto were warned of the security threat before RCMP confronted the suspect in southern Ontario.
The RCMP said it had received credible information of a potential terror threat, identified a suspect and taken action to ensure there was no danger to the public.
On Thursday morning, a spokesman for the Toronto Transit Commission said the agency was made aware of a terror threat investigation early the previous day, but noted that it had no specifics attached.
Brad Ross said that as a precaution a “vigilance notice” was issued to all staff encouraging them to say something if they saw something of concern.
He said such notices are commonly issued after security incidents around the world or if the TTC is advised of threats closer to home.
A spokeswoman for Metrolinx, the Ontario government agency which runs the Greater Toronto Area’s regional transit lines, says it was also advised of a security threat.
(with files from The Canadian Press, The Associated Press)