Premier Brad Wall is condemning what he calls “racist and hate-filled” comments on social media and other online forums that stem from a fatal shooting last week of an aboriginal man on a farm.
Wall says in a Facebook post on Sunday afternoon the comments betray the values and character of Saskatchewan.
22-year old Colten Boushie was shot last Tuesday after a car he was in went onto the rural property near Biggar.
A cousin of Boushie’s says they were headed home to the Red Pheasant First Nation near North Battleford when they got a flat tire and needed help, but says a man on the farm smashed their window and fired shots as they tried to drive away.
A suspect, 54-year old Gerald Stanley has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the case.
Wall says he has every confidence in the RCMP to investigate the circumstances of Boushie’s death.
Comments continued over the weekend on numerous online sites.
Some were anti First Nation, while others supported vigilante justice against the suspect in the case.
First Nations leaders said last week a police news release about the shooting was biased, and they called for an RCMP review of communication policies and writing guidelines.
An initial news release said people in the car had been taken into custody as part of a theft investigation.
Superintendent Rob Cameron in Regina responded officers handled the investigation fairly and competently.
Wall said the hateful comments that have appeared online must stop.
“There are laws that protect citizens from what this kind of hate may foment. They will be enforced,” he said.
Stanley is to make his next court appearance in North Battleford on Aug. 18 to face the allegations.
(with files from The Canadian Press)