With the clock ticking toward a possible job action with Canada Post and its union, Saskatchewan has made arrangements to ensure there is no payment disruption to its Social Services clients.
Clients and their trustees will be able to visit temporary distribution centres to pick up payments on Tuesday, August 30, and Wednesday, August 31,
This is for clients who receive monthly cheques for the following programs:
- Saskatchewan Assistance Program (SAP);
- Transitional Employment Allowance (TEA);
- Saskatchewan Assured Income for Disability (SAID); and
- Cognitive Disability and Approved Private Service Home level of care.
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers filed a 72-hour strike notice Thursday, accusing the Crown corporation of refusing to extend negotiations.
The federal labour minister says she hopes a mediator will help the two sides reach a settlement.
It’s not clear whether the job action, if it happens, will affect mail and parcel deliveries.
Disruption could occur as soon as Sunday
Here are the temporary pick-up sites for Saskatchewan Social Services:
- Prince Albert: Main floor of McIntosh Mall, 800 Central Avenue
- Melfort: Ministry of Social Services service centre first floor boardroom, 107 Crawford Avenue East
- Nipawin: Ministry of Social Services service centre boardroom, 210 1st Street East
- La Ronge: Ministry of Social Services office, 1328 La Ronge Avenue
- Creighton: Ministry of Social Services office, 1st Street East
- North Battleford: Civic Centre, 1902 104 Street
- Lloydminster: Income Assistance Service Centre office, 4815 50th Street
- Meadow Lake: Ministry of Social Services office reception area, 101 Railway Place
- Buffalo Narrows: Ministry of Social Services office
- La Loche: Friendship Centre, Fontaine Avenue
- Saskatoon: City Centre Church, 720 20th Street West
- Regina: Tartan Curling Club (North side), 1464 Broadway Avenue
- Swift Current: Ministry of Social Services office, 350 Cheadle Street West
- Moose Jaw: Sask Polytech, 600 Saskatchewan Street West
- Rosetown: Ministry of Social Services office, 124 2nd Avenue West
- Kindersley: Ministry of Social Services office, 125 1st Avenue East
- Fort Qu’Appelle: Ministry of Social Services, 177 Segwun Avenue
- Yorkton: Ministry of Social Services office, 2nd floor boardroom, 72 Smith Street East
- Estevan: Ministry of Social Services office, 1219 5th Street
- Weyburn: Ministry of Social Services office, 110 Souris Avenue North East