Souls Harbour Rescue Mission is looking to brighten the holidays for Regina people in need.
The mission has a handful of initiatives which will provide a Christmas meal and gifts to hundreds of men, women and children this holiday season.
Patty Humphreys, marketing manager with Souls Harbour says there are several ways to donate gifts this year.
People can give online through Homeless Partners. The website lists different community agencies to connect people with a personal bio and gift request for the person receiving the present.
The gifts can be delivered to Glen Elm Church of Christ at 1825 Rothwell Street in Regina between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. The last day for drop off is Friday, December 16.
Souls Harbour has also launched Operation Christmas Stocking, in which Regina residents are encouraged to buy socks and fill them with small gifts and gift cards.
The ‘stockings’ will be handed out to men, women and children at the Souls Habour Rescue Mission’s Christmas Meal on December 23. The finished socks must be in by December 20.
Also being handed out at the Christmas Meal are toys for children of all ages.
The ‘stockings’ and unwrapped toy donations can be dropped off at the Soup Kitchen at 1836 Halifax Street between 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Regina residents can also make a fiscal donation to Sponsor A Meal. Souls Harbour serves more than 200 meals to those in need five nights a week, all year round. Meal sponsorships range from $400 to $1000.
As for Christmas Day itself, both the men’s and women’s shelters will be open all day. Souls Harbour is looking to provide 16 adult gift bags for those staying at each of the shelters that day.
Each bag must be filled with the same items:
- · Long underwear – shirts and pants – size large and extra large
- · Underwear – medium and extra large
- · Zip-up or pull-over style sweatshirts/hoodies – size large and extra large
- · pyjamas– size medium and extra large
- · Socks
- · Razors
- · Deodorant
- · Manicure sets (nail file/nail clippers/small scissors)
- · a book
- · Chapstick
- · Beef jerky
- · Protein bars
- · Pre-paid phone cards
- · Gift cards for Tim Hortons, McDonalds etc., $10-$15 range
- · Brand new travel mugs
As always, the organization is looking for food donations for its Christmas Meal at the Dean Smith Youth Centre on the 23rd, which hosts about 600 guests from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m
Humphreys says they need all the essentials:
- · Large turkeys – 30
- · Large hams – 30
- · Cranberry sauce – 9 large cans
- · Stuffing mix – 150 boxes of 120g
- · Potatoes – 200lbs
- · Frozen mixed vegetables – 30 bags of 2kg
- · Romaine lettuce – 38 heads
- · Caesar Dressing – 6 bottles of 4L
- · Bacon bits – 6 large bottles of 1.5kg
- · Croutons – 6 large packages of 150g
- · Gravy mix – 5 large packages of 120g
- · Orange juice powdered drink mix – 6 large tins of 2.3kg
- · Coffee – 3 large tins of 1.36kg
- · Sugar – 1 bag of 10kg
- · Powdered creamer – 4 large tins of 1.4kg
- · Dill pickles – 5 jars of 3.78L
- · Dinner buns – 42 dozen
- · Individual butter/margarine – 42 dozen
- · Tin pans – 60 – (50cmx30cmx8cm)
- · Tin foil – 2 rolls of 45cmx100cm
- · Assorted Christmas baking
- · Plastic cutlery – 600
- · Napkins – 600
- · Large and small styroam plates – 600+
- · Mandarin oranges, candy canes and snacks for Christmas Day
People looking to sponsor a meal, donate gifts, food or money can contact Souls Harbour for more information at 306-543-0011. The organization is always looking for volunteers.