With the fireplace going, the Christmas tree lit and the oven filled with comfort food — it’s no secret the fire hazards increase around this time of year.
Angela Prawsick with Regina Fire and Protective Services says it’s important to map out a fire exit plan with house guests and residents alike.
Prawsick adds cooking is the leading cause of fires in the city, and she reminds people to never leave a stove unattended.
She says it’s also very important people double-check their smoke alarms, since many fires happen overnight with malfunctioning alarms.
Prawsick adds Christmas Trees tend to dry out quickly and home-owners are urged to check their tree daily.