SCHOOL BUS CANCELLATIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS STORY:
Saskatchewan RCMP have urged motorists to avoid highway travel until high winds settle down.
According to social media posts and news releases, authorities have reported whiteout conditions and snow blowing across highways, making for a treacherous travel day.
Several cars across the province even hit the ditch because of the blustery conditions.
Regina Police report several accidents in the Queen City as well – mostly in intersections, which are very icy.
Travel Not Recommended advisories for several routes, including Saskatoon to Prince Albert, were issued by Highway Hotline.
High wind and blowing snow has made it near-impossible for motorists to navigate Saskatchewan roads.
To make matters even worse, the weather office has also issued dozens of extreme cold weather warnings throughout Saskatchewan.
The entire province was under the warning as of Thursday morning, Jan. 12. This cold, windy weather will likely make travel very difficult throughout the day.
Police in several centres, including Regina and Saskatoon, have sent out advisories urging motorists to slow down because of extremely icy conditions.
Prince Albert RCMP responded to a three-vehicle collision 10 kilometres west of Prince Albert on Highway 3 Wednesday night.
The highway was closed in both directions while it was being investigated.
And this windy, cold weather is causing cancellations and delays at the Regina Airport.
SCHOOL BUS CANCELLATIONS FOR THURSDAY, JANUARY 12, 2017:
- School bus routes transporting students to schools within the Regina, Fort Qu’Appelle and Indian Head Weather tower areas for Prairie Valley School Division are cancelled for the full day due to inclement weather. Any planned extra-curricular trips will be cancelled also. Please ensure student absences are reported as per usual attendance practice. The following schools do not have bus service today, but schools are open: Balgonie, Bethune, Edenwold, Grand Coulee, Lumsden, Milestone, Pense, Pilot Butte, Regina, Regina Beach, White City. Indian Head, McLean, Montmartre, Qu’Appelle, Sedley, Vibank, Wolseley, Balcarres, Cupar, Fort Qu’Appelle, Kelliher, Lemberg, Lipton. Neudorf, Southey. Buses will be operating in the rest of the school division as usual.
- All transportation for Regina Catholic /Public Schools has been cancelled for Thursday due to extreme cold/wind chill. Schools remain open.
- Piapot School is closed.
- Peepeekisis School: Buses are not running. School is open.
- Pour le moment, le service de transport scolaire est annulé à: For now… Cancellations at: École Monseigneur de Laval – both elementary and high school pavillions in Regina, École Notre-Dame-des-Vertus in Zenon Park, École de Bellegarde in Bellegarde, École Beau Soleil & École Mathieu de Gravelbourg, École St-Isidore in Bellevue, École Canadienne-française in Saskatoon – both elementary and PGD (High School) Pavillions, École Ducharme in Moose Jaw, École Providence in Vonda. Schools remain open. Les écoles demeurent ouvertes.
- Standing Buffalo School closed. Please note, school buses are not running and the facility will not be staffed.