In announcing a new health agreement with the federal government Tuesday, provincial health minister Jim Reiter said a separate agreement had been reached on the contentious 2 for 1 MRI program which is something the federal government is not in favour with. Reiter said the province had a year to convince Ottawa to prove the plan works.
That might not entirely be the case.
Federal health minister Jane Philpott is saying they aren’t putting the matter aside for a year, but they are going to work with the province to make sure the Canada Health Act is being upheld and that their position on the plan has not changed.
Philpott wrote a letter to Reiter late last year saying the 2 for 1 plan had to come to an end calling it “bad policy” and “bad medicine”.