Saskatchewan health officials are reminding residents to take precautions against hantavirus in rural areas.
People can get hantavirus by breathing contaminated airborne particles from droppings of infected deer mice.
Hantavirus infection is rare but it can be deadly.
Symptoms include fever, muscle aches, cough and vomiting.
These symptoms can quickly develop into a severe and often fatal lung disease called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.
Chief medical health officer Dr. Saqib Shahab is advising the public to seek urgent medical attention if you develop a fever, coughing and shortness of breath within one to six weeks of exposure to potentially infected areas.
Exposure to hantavirus most often occurs when people clean up buildings like grain bins, sheds, barns, garages, trailers, cottages and homes, or farm equipment and vehicles that have been in storage.
When cleaning roden-infested areas, he advises to ventilate the building by opening doors and windows for at least 30 minutes before cleaning.
Other suggestions include wet mopping, rubber or plastic gloves, goggles and filter, use bleach and avoid dust.
Other ways to reduce exposure is block openings that allow rodents to enter a building, store food in containers with tight lids and move woodpiles away from your home.
There have been 31 cases of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Saskatchewan since 1994, and ten have been fatal.