A woman who lost sight in both her eyes and suffered horrific injuries caused by shot-gun pellets in the tragic La Loche shooting is demanding the government give the victims of the shooting more help.
Charlene Klyne is one of the victims of the La Loche shootings almost a year and a half ago.
She visited the Saskatchewan legislature Tuesday to advocate for more support for herself and others in the community.
Klyne was a teacher’s aide who was blinded by shotgun pellets and is now left with pain and is blind in one eye and can only see shadows with the other. She has 13 pellets throughout her chest and neck.
She was offered $50-thousand through school insurance and was initially offered 5 massage therapy sessions by the Workers Compensation Board, but more have since been ordered.
Doctors said surgery would be too risky, so massage therapy was the next option.
Klyne says the WSB isn’t helping her nearly enough, and it’s causing even more stress.
“Geting phone calls and asked questions, but no one getting back to us,” said Klyne. “They never want to settle anything. There are just more questions and more questions.”
Klyne says the WCB is making a difficult time even more so by allegedly questioning the needs of victims.
“When a doctor says you need treatment, they shouldn’t say, no you can’t have them,” added Klyne. “If your doctor says you need to have it, there’s a reason for it.”
Deputy Premier Don Morgan offered his deepest sympathy to the victims and says he has met with workers compensation to ensure the teachers aide gets everything she is entitled to.
Rural and remote health minister Greg Ottenbreit says a major effort has been undertaken to help the victims and the community.
Opposition critic Buckley Belanger believes the government’s response has been inadequate.
Seven people were injured and four people died on January 22nd of last year.
A 17 year old boy is charged with 4 counts of first degree murder and 7 counts of attempted murder.
(Michael Lumsden, with files from CJWW)