Saskatchewan Roughriders Assistant VP of Player Personnel John Murphy appeared on 620 CKRM’s SportsCage on Tuesday to provide an update on the club heading into training camp in Saskatoon beginning Sunday.
– There will be no rookie camp for the Saskatchewan Roughriders this week, unlike other CFL teams. Murphy said the QBs the club has under contract will take part in classroom sessions in the coming days. He said they made their decisions on rookie players at the Florida minicamp, and that’s who will move on to main camp. He also said it’s too much of a logistical problem to move all of their equipment to Saskatoon if it was still needed in Regina for a rookie camp.
– There will be five quarterbacks in training camp in Saskatoon: Kevin Glenn, Vince Young, Brandon Bridge, Bryan Bennett and Maty Mok. Mok, a Missouri alum, held a pro day this spring which Chris Jones attended. Mok is expected to sign with the Riders within the next few days.
– Regarding their contract negotiations with their 2017 draft class, Murphy disputed an online report that said talks aren’t going well. He said the Riders are on pace with other CFL teams regarding signing their draftees. Murphy said he’s unsure how the report got out regarding the negotiations, since he’s only spoken with the players’ agents and no one else.
– Murphy said it’s “a coincidence” that last year’s #1 overall pick Josaih St. John held out of last year’s training camp, and this year’s top two picks still haven’t signed. He said it’s different players, different agents, and different figures being bantied about.
– The Riders will hit the field at Griffiths Stadium in Saskatoon daily at 9:00 am for 2017 Training Camp presented by Coors Light.