The minister responsible for SaskTel says preliminary discussions with several groups about a partnership have been held, but Dustin Duncan is stressing the company “will always exist”.
Duncan made the statement Tuesday as the company revealed its bottom line for the fiscal year in the annual report. That report shows a rise in net income of nearly 30 million dollars to 134.8 million, and overall operating revenues at 1.277 billion dollars. It results in a dividend of 30 million being paid to the Crown Investment Corporation.
The minister re-iterated that while discussions are being had, the province would maintain majority ownership of the phone company if any deal is made.
Earlier this year, legislation was passed allowing the sale of up to 49 percent of a Crown Corporation.
The fact Duncan is admitting to having preliminary talks about a sale has the opposition NDP sounding the alarm bell.
“Saskatchewan people have made it clear that they want SaskTel and the rest of our Crowns to stay in the hands of Saskatchewan people. The only interest in selling off SaskTel comes from the Sask Party, and they have no absolutely no mandate to do so,” said NDP House Leader and SaskTel Critic Warren McCall. “It’s unacceptable for the Sask. Party to continue their negotiations – especially while refusing to release even the most basic details about the deals they’re cooking up.”