A 7th SaskPower power meter has caught fire in Regina.
SaskPower spokesperson Jonathan Tremblay says Fire crews were called to Carmichael Road in the Uplands neighbourhood Friday morning, shortly after 7:00.
“I can confirm this is the seventh incident, with fire,” Tremblay said. “It happened in the Uplands area of Regina. It’s the same conditions we’ve seen with others. So, the extreme dry conditions we’ve seen in the last three months means there’s been a lot of ground-shifting. Especially in that neighbourhood.”
Tremblay says crews were able to get to the site quickly and little damage was reported to the home.
“This did cause a small fire,” Tremblay said. “Regina firefighters were on site. And as soon as we were notified, we cut power to the entire Uplands area so the fire wouldn’t grow. Thankfully we caught it very early, so there’s only some blackening or aesthetic damage to the stucco and the eves.”
He says with the long weekend, homeowners are encouraged to check their power meter boxes.
“We need their help,” said Tremblay. “We have as many electricians and power line technicians working as possible. We’ve also brought people in from the outside and have contracted companies. But it does go faster if customers can spend a minute and do a quick visual inspection. But not touch anything, in case there is exposed wiring.”
He says if the meter appears tilted or crooked, it might indicate a cable has shifted.
Tremblay says if anything looks out of place, take a picture of the power box then contact SaskPower at 1-888-757-6937.