The Saskatchewan NDP has responded to allegations a former candidate sexually assaulted a young woman working for the party.
Wednesday evening, a blog post went online by a woman who wrote she was raped in Saskatoon in August.
The post states she went to police regarding this incident, however, there is no indication from Saskatoon police if charges have been laid.
In a statement issued last night, the NDP says the party must have a “safe and respectful” space for everyone to participate and contribute.
In a news conference Thursday morning at the legislature, the NDP says it takes allegations of harassment and assault seriously.
Saskatchewan NDP issue late-night release following blog post:
Saskatchewan NDP Leader Nicole Sarauer made the following statement:
“Our province, our movement and our party must be a safe and respectful space for everyone to participate in and contribute to.
“We take any and all allegations of harassment seriously. In this case, as in any case of harassment, our thoughts are with the survivor. We acknowledge and respect the courage it takes to come forward and we must all strive to ensure that survivors feel supported and never silenced.
“Last year, our party adopted a new anti-harassment process – independent of party and caucus leadership – to provide a fair and independent internal procedure that ensures confidentiality, protection and support to those making a complaint.
“In addition to law enforcement and other avenues of support, it is our hope that our internal process will work as intended.
“New Democrats will continue to make the issue of – and fight against – sexual harassment a priority. Though we have come a long way, we all share responsibility for ensuring that that work continues.”