The newest member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders – quarterback Zach Collaros – met with reporters at Mosaic Stadium on Tuesday. The veteran pivot was acquired from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats last Thursday.
Here are some quotes from the session:
– It feels great. Flying out today, I kind of felt like the new kind at school and I’m sure I’ll feel that way when we’re all together as a team. This is Canada’s Team. This is quite the atmosphere to play in as an opponent, and I’m looking forward to being on this team now.
– I think it’s a rebirth because it’s a new place. Things didn’t end the way in Hamilton I’d hoped for last year but I can’t dwell on that. I’m really looking forward to this opportunity, focusing on the present, and there’s not a better place to be.
– I’d be lying to you if I said 2017 wasn’t tough, personally. Didn’t play as well I would’ve liked. As a team, we didn’t reach the goals we set out in the preseason. Missed the playoffs. From a personal standpoint it was tough, but, again, really focusing on this new chapter in my career.
– It’s a great receiver group. Demski, Bagg, Carter, two guys I played with in Chad Owens and Bakari Grant. There’s a lot of talent here; guys who’ve played at a high level in this league. Coach Jones has done a great job here, as he did in Edmonton. As a quarterback you’re really excited to be surrounded by guys like that.
– Physically I’m there. Things didn’t go the way we’d hoped in Hamilton the past two years but from a physical standpoint, I feel the exact same and I look forward to proving myself again.
– There’s way more media here than my home in Ohio. That stood out to me ago years ago when I came here to play with Toronto. You can just tell the community rallies around the team. Rider Nation is one of – if not the best – fanbases in the CFL. I’m excited to play in an atmosphere where they really care about football.
– I’m ready for the fishbowl. As a QB you’re in a fishbowl as the face of the team anyway. Fans are passionate here, as they should be.
– The contract situation is something my agent and Coach Jones are working out. It seems like everything is going well. This is what we hire agents for.
– In Ohio every kid grows up aspiring to be a high school player. You go to high school games and look at those players like they’re NFL players. I begged my Dad to go out and throw the ball around everyday. They don’t tell you you have to play football. There, it’s just something you do.
– (The Manziel situation) is something I really haven’t concerned myself with. I’m a Roughrider now and I don’t really concern myself with that.
– I’m showing up to camp and competing. Every QB does. Even if they tell you you’re the starter, you need to come in with fire in your belly or else you’ll get passed by. We haven’t had discussions about the starting position.