The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League is ready to resume its season.
The Nipawin Hawks will entertain the Estevan Bruins in Game 1 of the final on Saturday.
There had been some question about resuming the season in the wake of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash that killed 16, but after a conference call on Wednesday, it was unanimously decided to carry on.
League president Bill Chow says the league needed time to sit down and discuss the matter because every team had to be represented with their thoughts before a final decision could be made.
“The board of the Humboldt Broncos is a volunteer one that consists of six people.” Chow said. “They had a lot on their plate. We had to allow them to have time to do what they felt was important, and at the time hockey wasn’t important.”
Chow also addressed the SJHL Assistance Program that has been set up and what the goal for that fund is.
“If we help one kid from that fund, it’s a success.” Chow stated. “There’s no number financially on it, there’s no number of kids that we want to help. I’d like to stand up here and say zero kids will need help, but I would be lying to you right?” He added at some point he would like to make the fund not only available to SJHL players, but Junior “A” players across Canada.
Country Thunder also announced a show will happen in Saskatoon at SaskTel Centre April 27. Those who will be performing will be announced next week. All proceeds from that show will be going to the families of the Broncos who were affected by the crash.
Shortly after the announcement was made, the GoFundMe page set up by Humboldt’s Sylvie Kellington just hours after the crash went over the $10 million Canadian mark. It is now the 4th largest GoFundMe campaign ever.