The Proudly Saskatchewan Showcase is BACK!
1978 saw the debut of the Big Country Talent Show. Well, that tradition continues in this our 41st season of putting the spotlight on Saskatchewan’s rising stars. Our mission is to find and expose the very best vocal talent and emerging artists of tomorrow. Stage presence, vocals, performance, it ALL plays a factor in the future success of our homegrown stars, and we’re giving them a stage and the chance to shine!
Up for grabs? Cash, prizes, recording time, airplay AND a feature slot on the biggest stage in Saskatchewan…the MAINSTAGE at Country Thunder Saskatchewan!
There are no run-offs this year. All applications will go through a preliminary adjudication process to determine if an invitation will be issued to join us at our Showcase event which will happen Saturday June 23rd at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum auditorium – featuring a special acoustic performance by Bobby Wills!
Our Top 3 performers from the Showcase will be awarded a spot on the Mainstage at Country Thunder Saskatchewan (Sunday July 15, 2018). 3rd and 2nd place will perform 3 songs, 1st place will perform a 4 song set.
Cash Prizes will be awarded for 1st ($1000) 2nd ($500) and 3rd ($250).
There will also be a $500 cash bounty on the best “original” song from the competition.
Our grand prize winner will also receive:
– a $1,000 gift card to Long & McQuade Musical Instruments – where the music begins!
– a Yamaha acoustic guitar from Yamaha Music Canada
– studio time/professional recording session of one (1) airplay ready single
– individual SaskMusic membership for a year
– potential showcase opportunities at CKRM related functions throughout the year
AND of course…AIRPLAY of your single on 620 CKRM!!!
Now, here are the rest of the important details for those who will choose to be considered for a performance slot.
Dates to Note:
Application deadline: Friday June 1, 2018 – 5:00pm SK time (sooner is better!)
Showcase: Saturday June 23rd – Royal Saskatchewan Museum Auditorium
The RSM is an ALL-AGES venue.
Country Thunder Saskatchewan: Sunday July 15, 2018 – Mainstage
– must be a resident of Saskatchewan
– country singer/duo/group
– provide completed audition package as described below
– all performers must be a minimum 15 years of age on or before June 1, 2018
– you may not have an active recording, management or publishing deal. Amateurs only!
This is an acoustic showcase and competition. As such:
– No backing tracks. You may play yourself or have an accompanist join you on stage.
– you may choose to enter as a solo act OR a duo/group, not both
– each performer will be given the stage and opportunity to perform a total of 3 songs.
They may be “cover” songs or original compositions.
From the entries received prior to the submission deadline, our pre-selection panel will narrow the list down to our selected Showcase performers (panel decisions shall be deemed final). If you submit, be prepared to play on Saturday June 23rd should you advance to the Showcase (Please Note: There may be a mandatory afternoon technical rehearsal in advance of the evening performance for the Showcase).
- The Sheila Ann Memorial Award – presented to the overall Showcase winner.
- The Fred King Memorial Award – presented to the ‘most promising entertainer’.
- The “Spirit of Saskatchewan” Songwriters Award – presented to the participant who has penned or co-penned the best original composition.
Our pre-selection panel will require you to provide the following for consideration as we select artists who will be invited to join us for this year’s Showcase.
- the full legal name and date of birth (including year) of yourself (and if needed, additional members/ accompanist)
- if you will be under the age of majority (19) as of June 1, 2018 we will also need the full legal name and date of birth (including year) of whomever will be your guardian/chaperone during your performance.
- An MP3 attachment (5MB filesize or less please!) or youtube video link to a minimum of 2 songs (performed by you) that you have selected to perform at the Showcase (does not have to be ‘pro’ quality, webcam or camera phone will do – this is for our pre-selection panel’s internal use only)
- .pdf or .doc file of the lyric sheets for your songs if you will be performing an original composition
- all necessary contact info to reach you (home mailing address, phone, cell, e-mail, website, twitter/instagram handle, etc)
- a maximum 50 word musical career bio (inspiration/experience etc) that our MC will utilize to introduce you (if selected to perform) at the Showcase/Country Thunder.
- acknowledgement that, if selected, you will be available to attend both the afternoon technical rehearsal (if called for by Showcase organizers) and evening performance Sat June 23rd at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum
PAY ATTENTION TO THE SUBMISSION CRITERIA – if you do not fully complete each item on the list, your submission package may be discarded as incomplete. DOUBLECHECK before you hit send!
Where to send your submission:
Submission packages may be e-mailed to email@example.com with all required files attached (lyric sheets etc). Remember to include the necessary hyperlinks to your youtube video demos within the body of the e-mail. If e-mailing MP3’s, submit your package without audio attached in the first e-mail, and then ship each songfile as its own subsequent e-mail. Please keep the filesize to 5MB or less. (Massive files will be rejected by our corporate mail server without notifications generated. AKA, we won’t know that we haven’t received them, and you won’t know it hasn’t been received.)
Submitted applications must be received no later than 5:00pm SK time on Friday June 1, 2018. (Sooner is better!)
Tickets for this event will be on-sale closer to the event date, with proceeds from the night benefiting the work of Music Heals and their support of music therapy programming in Saskatchewan.
Thank you for your consideration. While this is by nature a competition, we (and hopefully all who choose to participate) view this as an opportunity to showcase the emerging talent in our province and give you a stage and venue to share your voice and stories through song. The very best of luck with both your submission and performance – we look forward to seeing you in the spotlight!