It seems like yesterday when the first shovels went into the ground on the site of the New Mosaic Stadium.
Now, Saskatchewan has the honour of testing the facility in the first-ever football game on Saturday, October 1st between the University of Regina Rams and the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.
We know all the tickets for the test game are sold out. And you will need that ticket – issued by Ticketmaster with a barcode – for entry.
Ticketholders are being asked by event organizers to arrive at the stadium early.
Gates 2 & 3, both located at the north end of the stadium, will open at 12 p.m. Kick-off will take place at 2 p.m.
There is no assigned seating for Saturday as all patrons will watch the game from the lower bowl of the stadium.
Saturday’s test game is a contractual requirement between the City and PCL, the construction partner in the new stadium.
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone, the City will be testing a no in-and-out policy.
Because new Mosaic Stadium is a smoke-free facility, designated smoking areas for the test game will be provided.
- Transit service will be free for all riders and begins at 11:45 a.m.
- Buses will depart from the Southland Mall, Northgate Mall, Victoria Square Mall and Normanview Shopping Centre.
- New for the test game is a downtown shuttle with two stops: Saskatchewan Drive/Hamilton Street (Delta Hotel) and Victoria Avenue and Scarth Street (Victoria Park).
- Returning buses will start leaving the stadium once their full and service will end 20 minutes after the game.
- Elphinstone Street, between Dewdney Avenue and north of Saskatchewan Drive, will be closed to traffic from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Limited parking will be available at the current Mosaic Stadium for $10.
- Parking will be operated by the Rams Alumni with all proceeds going to player scholarships, recruitment and development.
- The Evraz Place parking lot will be closed – no public parking will be available on site for guests attending the football game.
- Accessible parking for those with mobility challenges will be available at Evraz Place just west of Confederation Park on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests must enter through the Lewvan Dr. gate and display an accessible parking permit.
- Local vendors will be providing a variety of freshly prepared food for fans to enjoy and a variety of non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages will be available.
- Debit and credit cards will not be accepted to purchase food, drinks or merchandise.
- ATMs will be provided throughout the concourse, however, patrons are encouraged to be prepared and bring cash.
- City crews will be bringing in potable water, signs will remind patrons not to drink the water and bottled water will be available for sale. The City of Regina has given the all-clear to the drinking water after discovering it may not be potable earlier in the week. However, officials are still bringing in water for fans.
“We look forward to finding out what works well and what we may need to adjust as we get ready for our grand opening next summer,” said Regina Mayor Michael Fougere. “Preparations for Saturday have been a long time in the making and have involved a large number of organizations and a committed team of staff and volunteers.”
“The game is designed to test every feature of the building, including washrooms, public address systems and elevators. Operational plans, that support the stadium and include access and egress, transportation, parking and security, will also be tested,” said Kim Onrait, Executive Director of City Services & Major Projects.
A variety of building, mechanical and electrical testing has been taking place all week under various conditions, said Mr. Onrait, with the intent to optimize operations in the City’s new multi-purpose facility.
Earlier in the week, a security exercise involving members of the Stadium Project, Regina Police Service, Regina Fire and Protective Services, Emergency Medical Services and contracted security providers took place.
The security test ensures that everyone is prepared in case an emergency situation were to occur during the game.
Game time is 2:00pm.