Classes at the La Loche, Sask. high school and two others were cancelled Friday after threats of another shooting.
Police received the threat two days before the one year anniversary of the northern Saskatchewan community’s tragedy, which killed four people and wounded seven others.
RCMP staff sergeant Greg Heuer told MBC Radio the threat turned out not to be credible, but precautions were taken insure the community’s safety.
Mayor of La Loche, Robert St. Pierre, said the threat hinders the town’s grieving process, especially being so close to the anniversary.
“This is already a difficult time for La Loche, made even more difficult with the latest threat,” explained St. Pierre.
St. Pierre requested that, as Sunday approaches, the community is given privacy to mourn.
The shooter in last year’s tragedy — a student, who was 17 years old at the time and cannot be identified — has pleaded guilty to charges of first-degree murder, second-degree murder and attempted murder.
He is to be sentenced in the spring.