The Government of Saskatchewan says it will appeal last month’s Court of Queen’s Bench ruling on separate school funding.
Gordon Wyant, Justice Minister and Attorney General, says the province is doing so in order to get further clarification on this matter.
On April 20, the Court of Queen’s Bench ruled on a legal challenge brought by the Good Spirit Public School Division near Yorkton, Sask.
The Court said Christ the Teacher Catholic School Division could not receive provincial funding for non-Catholic students.
The Court ruled the government must stop paying for non-minority faith students to attend separate schools.
- Saskatchewan court rules non-Catholic students may not attend Catholic schools
- Saskatchewan Catholic School Board to appeal court ruling
The Saskatchewan government has said it disagrees with the ruling.
If allowed to stand, it says the ruling would affect approximately 10-thousand students who would no longer be funded to attend Catholic schools.
The government previously announced Saskatchewan will invoke the notwithstanding clause regarding the decision.
Don Morgan, Saskatchewan’s Deputy Premier and Minister of Education says the use of the notwithstanding clause allows parents to worry less about the outcome of an appeal.
“We wanted to give students and their families the certainty that their ability to choose which school they attend will not be impacted by this decision,” said Morgan.
The notice of appeal will be filed on Friday.