A 14 year old girl, her 11 year old brother and their father have been recognized by the Saskatoon Fire Department for saving the lives of their neighbours from a fire that was quickly growing in their home.
Colsen Klinger was in his room when he noticed what appeared to be a fire in the backyard of his neighbours’ home in the Hampton Village neighbourhood last Sunday.
He alerted his sister, Ami and father, Dave.
While Dave was calling 911, Ami rushed over to the home and started knocking on the door and window to get their neighbours’ attention.
After 2 minutes of knocking, three people emerged from the home and escaped before the fire spread. Damage is estimated at $400,000.
Ami says, “I felt like if I stopped knocking then someone could have gotten hurt, so I wanted to make sure nobody got hurt or injured.”
For their efforts, the siblings and their father were given certificates and offered a ride in a fire truck to thank them for their actions.
Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Rodger says the fire, caused by a cigarette, was fueled by a nearby propane tank and natural gas line, and it didn’t take long after they were called for the fire to spread to the exterior of the home and then inside.
Rodger says, “had the neighbours not been notified, the results of this fire would have been a lot more tragic.”
Ami doesn’t feel like she should be considered a hero. She says “I’m not really a hero, I just did what’s right.”