The Roughriders returned to the practice field on Monday for the first time since Friday’s 33-32 home loss to the Ottawa RedBlacks.
Here are some notes:
– The team officially announced on Monday morning that 11-year veteran Canadian receiver Chris Getzlaf has signed a practice roster contract with the club. Getzlaf said it “couldn’t feel better” to be back with his hometown team. The 34-year old revealed that he asked for his release from the Edmonton Eskimos two weeks ago and has been in Regina ever since.
– Rider Coach Chris Jones said Getzlaf approached the team and “wanted to be a part of what we’re doing.”
– Getzlaf wore #71 in practice on Monday, which was his original number with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats during training camp in 2007. He said he doesn’t plan on asking veteran Rider receiver Duron Carter to give up his traditional #89.
– Chris Jones revealed after practice that leading rusher Cameron Marshall will return to the backfield after missing several weeks due to injury. Meanwhile Chad Owens lined up at slotback in place of the injured Naaman Roosevelt on Monday. Jones said that’s likely the way things will go in Friday’s game at Calgary.
– Jones also confirmed that left guard Derek Dennis will miss this game with a back injury and his absence means veteran lineman Dan Clark will be activated for the Calgary game.
– Regarding Friday’s 33-32 loss to Ottawa in which the Riders blew a 12-point lead with five minutes to go, Jones said, “I’ve got to do a better job managing the game. You can put this one on me.”