The second teenaged boy in the Hannah Leflar murder case has been sentenced as a youth.
The now 19-year old teen received an IRCS sentence in his role as an accomplice in the murder.
Chris White, the crown prosecutor in the case, says the family of Hannah Leflar is not satisfied with the verdict.
“The family’s upset, I don’t think they see this as closure,” White says. “They were certainly hopeful there would have been an adult sentence for this individual, as with Mr. Prockner. They’re certainly disappointed.”
- Judge in Hannah Leflar murder trial to deliver verdict Nov. 7
- “Hollow victory,” Hannah Leflar’s mother said after daughter’s killer sentenced as adult
The teen, who still can’t be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, does not receive credit for the 33 months previously spent in a youth correctional facility, meaning he could spend as much as 9 1/2 total behind bars.
Greg Wilson was the defence lawyer in this case, and says the judge made the right call despite public reaction.
“I get that it’s not a popular sentence, I get that a lot of people aren’t going to like it,” Wilson says. “But Canadian law is based on consistency, is based on principles, is based on the Youth Criminal Justice Act, and at the end of the day, this is what we felt was going to be the appropriate outcome.”
There will be an additional meeting in regards to further placement of the teen later this month.