One of the candidates running to become the next leader of the Saskatchewan Party is denying she received questions prior to a debate recently held in Weyburn, November 30th.
Alanna Koch says the accusation delivered to Sask. Party executive director Patrick Bundrock is untrue adding her followers urged her to to speak openly on this matter.
Koch delivered a statement to media outlets on Monday morning and spoke to 620 CKRM News. She says the party received a letter signed by Tina Beaudry-Mellor, Scott Moe and Gord Wyant last week.
Koch confirms the letter has been sent to a six-member Leadership Election Organizing Committee for review.
The letter alleged her camp had access to debate questions prior to the event. However, Koch says her goal now is to move forward with her campaign so she can to continue the work done by outgoing Premier Brad Wall.
“This, I would say, is very disappointing that the candidates have decided to take this step,” Koch said. “What I’m focussed on is keeping the party strong and what it’s going to take to keep us together and stay focussed on winning in 2020.”
Koch says she’s dismayed the campaign has turned to this.
“There was obviously this leaked letter out to the media,” Koch said. “There were a few comments coming at me from supporters saying, ‘this is ridiculous, we know this is not true, you need to set the record straight.'”
The Sask. Party leadership race has been underway since August. The winner will be decided at a convention in Saskatoon on January 27.
There are six candidates running for the leadership of the Sask. Party: Scott Moe, Ken Cheveldayoff, Tina Beaudry-Mellor, Gord Wyant, Alanna Koch, and Rob Clarke.