The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation is questioning the government on their belief no schools were told about potential budget cuts in the 2018 budget.
The STF sent a press release on Tuesday saying school divisions were allegedly called by the government to say more budget cuts are upcoming –something which Minister of Education Bronwyn Eyre says never happened.
However, Patrick Maze, President of the STF, begs to differ.
“We’ve heard from several divisions that they’re kind of bracing for more cuts, and that they’ve have been told to roll up their sleeves for budget time; similar to what they were told last year, to keep them rolled up,” Maze says. “We know from one division in particular, they’ve sent out a memorandum to all of their teachers.”
- CUPE concerned over possible cuts to education in upcoming Saskatchewan budget
- NDP calls out SaskParty after layoffs in education reach 280
Maze says he is hoping the government can find the funds to support education appropriately.
“Government has a responsibility to fund education and we’d like them to accept that responsibility, and it seems to me that they’ve been attempting to balance the budget on our students backs and that has to end. We need education to be funded appropriately.”
The Chinook School Division, based in the south-west part of the province, employs 55 more staff than its funding allows.
This school division has been reportedly asked to cut 3.3 million dollars.
With the SaskParty Leadership race coming to a close in a matter of days, Maze says all of the candidates are looking towards improving education, which is something Maze believes is encouraging news.