An attack on a Regina cab driver has caused the provincial Justice Minister to ask for a review by the Workers Compensation Board.
34 year old Muhammed Umar is recovering at home after being stabbed repeatedly during an incident in the south end of the city earlier this month.
Don Morgan asked the WCB to looking at what coverage and should be made available, as well as any sort of recommendations they may have. He noted a discussion of this nature is needed so everybody can be on the same page.
- Regina police looking for suspect after robbery and assault Friday morning
- Suspects in Regina cab driver robbery and assault taken into custody after chase and shootout
“There’s all kinds of combinations of how they contracts of that,” he said. “Maybe it’s time we put a little bit more of a sophisticated approach in saying ‘Ok, this is the requirements that everybody must have to ensure people are covered.'”
This discussion is one that needs to be had because it is speculated the cab driver, Umar, didn’t have benefits at the time of the attack.
Morgan said he didn’t want to label this is as a case of someone falling through the cracks, but does acknowledge this could happen to others.
“These are people that would be regarded as self employed and as such, have no coverage,” said Morgan. “They probably don’t know that they don’t have coverage, so I think it would be a good idea if we could have WCB do some public awareness.”