The Humboldt Broncos held a press conference Thursday afternoon to discuss the funds from the Go-fund-me campaign that took place last month.
Over $15.1 million was raised through the crowd funding campaign, but 2.9% of that will be going to go-fund-me as part of their fee of service.
Broncos President Kevin Garinger says the team has done what they can thus far to support the families.
“Right from the get-go, our board and our families have worked very closely together, and we talk about Hockey Canada stepping in, those are conversations that happened with our board to be able to get them here, be able to organize the responsibilities we had around insurance and take that out of the hands of our families who needed to grieve and deal with that.”
Scott Thomas, who’s son Evan was killed on the bus, says the parents of the kids on the bus weren’t expecting anything, but are grateful for what has been delivered.
“Through this whole process we don’t expect anything; everything that we’ve been given here is a gift,” Thomas says. “People have reached out in so many different ways, you saw what the Country Thunder people did, you saw what the Hockey Mom’s for Humboldt did in sending flowers to the Mom’s. None of that is expected, everything that’s given to us is a gift.”
Garinger also said the “#humboldtstrong” trademark dispute between the team and the SJHL has been resolved as the League’s board of governors voted unanimously to begin a process to give the trademark to the Broncos.