Some Quick Notes From Day 4 of Rider Training Camp
– Tuesday’s Day 3 of 2018 Saskatchewan Roughriders Training Camp moved over to SMF Field, home of the Saskatoon Hilltops. Again, sunny skies and 26 degrees Celsius greeted Canada’s Team.
– Just prior to the workout the Roughriders announced they’ve released DT Nick James and CB John Ojo. Head Coach & GM Chris Jones hinted that the pair wasn’t in good enough shape for training camp.
– The Riders also announced the retirement of centre Jeremy Zver, a Regina Rams product. Zver’s agent told me the player has decided to move on from football. Jones said Zver was having a “good camp, but not a great camp”.
– The team also activated veteran Canadian DT Eddie Steele. He promptly lined up with the 1s.
– The star of the day was quarterback David Watford, who unfurled a barrage of accurate, deep passes.
– Duron Carter took plenty of reps at corner, lining up primarily against Caleb Holley and Rob Bagg. He wasn’t beaten much, if at all.
– The Riders visit the Edmonton Eskimos Sunday at 5:00 pm (TSN, 620 CKRM Rider Radio Network) and Jones said he’ll announce his quarterback rotation for the game later in the week. He said to expect a lot of #3, #4 and #5 at that position, meaning we won’t see much of Zach Collaros or Brandon Bridge (if at all).