– Thursday’s workout at Saskatoon’s SMF Field saw a reprieve from the baking summer sun. It was overcast, but still a humid 26 degrees Celsius.
– Head Coach & GM Chris Jones was happy with the energy in the spirited workout, which lasted roughly three hours.
– The Riders continue to mix and match at the corner spots, putting rookie Nick Marshall in the first team secondary opposite Jovon Johnson. The second group featured Chris Lyles and rookie Orlandus Harris on the corners with Tristan MacDonald-Doughlin at safety. In the third grouping, Marc-Olivier Brouillette was at safety.
– The quarterbacks – in order of appearance in the team periods – were Zach Collaros, Brandon Bridge, David Watford, Marquise Williams and B.J. Daniels. The order of tailbacks was: Jerome Messam, Zac Stacy, Marcus Thigpen, Josh MacPherson and Bryce Viera.
– Marquise Williams had a tough day, throwing three interceptions. Brandon Bridge was intercepted by #91 DL Chad Geter, who batted the ball and came down with it.
– Rookie Canadian WR Mitchell Picton had his best day of training camp so far, catching almost everything which came his way. Chris Jones said he was happy with Picton’s play on Day 5 but said he’s still got some physical maturing to do.
– The Canadian receivers are Rob Bagg, Devon Bailey, Joshua Stanford and Picton. Jones was reluctant to say if they’ll be able to keep all of them in some fashion this season.
– Veteran slotback Chad Owens came out briefly in the first series of the team period with a hand injury and was promptly replaced by Caleb Holley. However he was right back out for the third series.
– Owens has evoked memories of Weston Dressler with the way he ferociously has attacked every rep of this training camp. He’s been diving, leaping and stretching for balls all over the field. An observer mentioned, “Owens isn’t going to last if he keeps up with that effort”. I mentioned it to CO2 and his response was, “That’s how I’ve lasted so long.”
– Jones still hasn’t announced which quarterbacks will play in Sunday’s preseason game at Edmonton (3:00 pm, TSN, 620 CKRM Rider Radio Network). Zach Collaros was asked repeatedly in his media session if he expects – or wants to play – on Sunday but he said, “I trust the coaches with whatever they decide.”
– The Riders are back on the turf at SMF Field on Friday at 9:00 am.