Make it 12.
That’s the number of houses in the city of Regina that have caught fire due to smoking materials this year.
Fire Chief Layne Jackson spoke about that matter Tuesday, at a house on Regina’s north end, the latest of homes to catch fire from this cause. He noted this fire was preventable.
“I know the Fire Marshal and fire prevention division has been urging the public and sending out advisories to use due care and attention when discarding your smokers materials,” he said.
It was sentiment echoed by Regina Fire and Protective Services Fire Marshal, Randy Ryba, who went on to note fires of this nature can occur in multiple ways.
“Peat moss is another culprit, but we’ve had fires in plastic milk containers,” he said.