You will soon notice some changes at Evraz Place when it comes to parking and exit wait times at the facility during major events.
The Regina Exhibition Association Limited put out a survey earlier this year asking a variety of questions on the issue with a lot of feedback being gained.
Shalyn Kivela with REAL said one of the immediate changes will be extending traffic lights for those leaving to make their exit easier.
“We’re going to be adjusting our traffic light timing after events. We’ll adjust the timing of the lights at Lewvan Drive entrance, Princess Street and Elphinstone Street. This is going to improve traffic flow at our events.”
A long-term improvement identified is the desire to have a park-and-ride and other transportation services to be put in place which will encourage off-site parking.
Kivela said many provided their thoughts.
“We had over 2300 respondents. People are passionate about the property and they really want to help. It’s great to see. We found that three quarters of desired exit wait times are no longer than 20 minutes. That’s the base line we’re hoping to achieve.”
According to a release, here are the changes REAL is looking to make:
- Adjust traffic light timing: REAL will continue to work in close partnership with the City of Regina to adjust the timing of traffic lights on Lewvan Drive, Princess Street and Elphinstone Street to improve traffic flow following events. This strategy was trialed at the 2018 Memorial Cup with success.
- Provide additional training for parking attendants: REAL will place a high emphasis on ensuring all parking attendants have the appropriate training required to effectively direct traffic flow.
- Designate parking areas for Evraz Place recreational user groups: All parking attendants will be trained to direct guests to the appropriate parking area(s) to ensure guests who visit the property for regular recreational usage have access to designated parking area(s).
- Ease congestion on south side of Brandt Centre: Visiting team buses will be moved from south of the Brandt Centre to unload/load in an area that will not block traffic, which will improve safety and traffic flow.
- Enforce parking restrictions: REAL will continue enforcement efforts by issuing City of Regina tickets to guests who park in restricted areas.
- Add premium parking: REAL will offer paid premium parking that offers guests a guaranteed spot and priority exiting after events.
A number of other long-term improvements were identified:
- Add Lewvan Drive exit lane: In collaboration with the City REAL will is researching adding an additional left-turning lane on Lewvan Drive to improve traffic flow after events.
- Mark lines and roadways more clearly: Pending budget, paint parking stall lines, roadway markings and pedestrian walkway/crossings to help people park efficiently, direct pedestrians to crossings and help drivers know which direction to drive.
- Pave parking lots: Pending budget, pave remaining parking lots on the property.
- Designate drop/pick-up areas: Designate safe areas for taxi and ride-sharing services to pick up and drop off guests.
- Provide park-and-ride and alternative transportation options: Explore partnership options for park-and-ride and alternative transportation services to encourage off-site parking.