REGINA – The Saskatchewan Roughriders held Day 1 of their practice week on Wednesday as they prepare for Sunday’s 2018 CFL Western Semifinal against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Here are some notes:
– The Riders bundled up for the workout in minus-11 degrees Celsius. With a 20 km/h northwest wind, it felt like minus-18.
– After missing the last three quarters of the Riders’ last game on October 27, QB Zach Collaros was back running the first team offense on Tuesday.
“Feel good,” Collaros told reporters. “Feel good to be out there on the field with the guys, and practicing. Getting ready for a big game this weekend against a great opponent.”
Collaros said he expects to start Sunday’s game.
– Veteran QB Drew Tate was signed on Saturday and saw limited reps on Tuesday. He was signed for depth and insurance during the playoff run. Head Coach & GM Chris Jones said the signing of Tate was “precautionary”.
– Jones said if Zach Collaros were to go down in the playoffs, “It’ll be Brandon (Bridge)’s game”.
– With the signing of OL Simeon Rottier, Jones said they’re happy with their current rotation but Rottier gives them an option down the road.
– C Dan Clark has been cleared to play and is “pain-free” according to Jones, but he won’t play this week.
– WR Shaq Evans and K Brett Lauther missed Wednesday’s practice. Jones said Evans is day-to-day while Lauther is expected to play the semifinal.