After a large pile of needles was discovered in a Regina McDonald’s bathroom, the Saskatchewan Health Authority is saying the proper procedures were taken to protect the public.
After staff were notified, the washroom was closed, and needles were cleaned up with the area being disinfected as well.
SHA acting manager of environmental public health Ian Harrison said there was a sharp box in the washroom that was vandalized.
“From what the inspector informed me is that it looked like the damage on the box, it was pried away with some sort of implement,” Harrison said. “What that was, I can’t say.”
SHA manager for communicable disease programs Kathy Lloyd said there’s no way to confirm what those needles were used for.
“McDonald’s did the right thing; they have a unit there for whoever needs to use it, and often times people in restaurants are using insulin because they’re eating,” Lloyd said. “We don’t know where all these needles come from, but people did the responsible thing by putting them in the container, it’s just unfortunate that someone vandalized the container.”
The news of the vandalized box was highlighted by a viral video on social media of the bathroom, which has since generated 350,000 views.
In a media statement, McDonald’s said The experience and safety of guests and crew is the chain’s “top priority,” and that are “aware of the video that was filmed at the Dewdney McDonald’s and can confirm that the restaurant is taking this situation very seriously.”
The release goes on to say that “After being alerted about this troubling incident, the restaurant immediately followed procedures to clean and sanitize the washroom.”