After tragedy last week, people are reminded to protect themselves from carbon monoxide

After the tragic passing of two children to suspected carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning last week near Prince Albert, a Regina Fire Marshal is reminding people how to protect themselves.

Just before that about four dozen people were exposed to the tasteless, odorless gas after a leak at a Winnipeg hotel.

Fire Marshal Randy Ryba said CO detectors are crucial to protecting your family.

“We’re asking people to at least put a CO detector outside of each sleeping room,” said Ryba. “CO can be present at any time of the year.”

He said whether it’s warming up homes with the furnace, or leaving vehicles running in the garage, it’s crucial to have the alarms wherever possible for the protection of you and your loved ones.

Ryba suggested that people should have one detector at a minimum placed in each hallway about five feet from the floor, especially if bedrooms are adjacent to each other.

He also said the dangerous gas can be present at any moment in time and that it’s important to test detectors frequently.

“In the last week, we’ve had a number of CO calls,” said Ryba. “Solid fuel appliances like wood fire places, water heaters or any carbon-based fuels can produce CO.”

Some early signs of exposure to carbon monoxide include headache, dizziness and shortness of breath.


More from 620 CKRM