Pats let one get away in 6-2 loss to Winnipeg

The Regina Pats gave up five unanswered goals to suffer a 6-2 defeat to the Winnipeg ICE Wednesday night at the Brandt Centre.

The scoring started in the first period when Owen Pederson pushed in a rebound at the 7:51 mark, giving the ICE a 1-0 lead.

Jake Johnson responded for the Pats, scoring his second career WHL goal, tying the game heading into the second period.

Nikita Sedov would give the Pats the lead in the second period off of a great feed from Pats Captain Austin Pratt. Sedov’s fifth of the year made it a 2-1 game.

The floodgates then opened up for Winnipeg. Poor time and puck management from the Pats resulted in a three-on-two break for the ICE in the final 10 seconds of the second period, which resulted in Isaac Johnson scoring his 28th of the season, tying the game 2-2 after two periods.

Pats’ forward Cale Sanders says Johnson’s goal ended up shifting momentum.
“We’re trying to carry the lead into the third period, but that happens, so we tried to bounce back in the third, but they got a couple of quick ones on us, and couldn’t (come back) after that.”

Early in the third, Carson Lambos scores the eventual game-winning goal, making it 3-2.

Former Pats prospect Cole Muir scored an insurance marker 5:08 into the final period, doubling the lead for Winnipeg.

Michal Teply then added to the lead with his 29th goal of the season on the power play. Michael Milne capped off the scoring at the 14:54 mark of the third, resulting in a 6-2 ICE win.

Pats’ assistant coach Brad Herauf said the team started out well, but mistakes ended up coming back to haunt them.
“Too much self-implosion (Wednesday night),” Herauf said. “We were in a hockey game, we were doing really well, we were defending really well, and when they got their momentum, we were unable to respond.”
The Pats return to action Friday night when they visit the Brandon Wheat Kings. That game can be heard on 620 CKRM. Puck drop is at 6:30.

More from 620 CKRM