It is good news for parents who will be going back to work on Monday as the Re-Open Saskatchewan plan begins.
The provincial government says anyone working now or returning to work under Phase 1 and 2 of the plan will have access to licenced child-care services located within schools.
Following the closure of school-based child care facilities last month, more than 2,100 of those spaces continue to operate as part of a reserved supply for pandemic response workers, and there is now capacity within that supply to expand accessibility to other workers.
“As we move to gradually re-open Saskatchewan, we know that parents, caregivers and families returning to work will need child care support, and we are helping them by ensuring their children are safe and well cared for,” Deputy Premier and Education Minister Gordon Wyant said in a release.
The centers will continue to operate within the guidelines provided by the Saskatchewan’s Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab, which include a maximum of eight children per room along with increased sanitization measures.
In addition to the 47 school-based centres operating as a part of the reserved supply, approximately 350 non-school based child care centres and homes continue to operate. Parents can access the application form for in-school child care centers on the Government of Saskatchewan website at www.saskatchewan.ca/covid19-childcare.