SaskEnergy reiterating importance of carbon monoxide safety

In light of a recent carbon monoxide event in Saskatoon, both SaskEnergy and SaskPower are reminding people to be aware of the gas.

Casey MacLeod with SaskEnergy says as important as carbon monoxide safety is year-round, it’s even more important in the winter.

“There’s lots of things that you can do to make sure you keep your home, and yourself safe,” said MacLeod. “One of the most important things to do is to make sure that you have a working carbon monoxide alarm in your home.”

In support of carbon monoxide awareness, SaskEnergy is offering a $10 rebate on the purchase of carbon monoxide alarms.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless, odourless, and poisonous gas that can have deadly effects in large doses, but MacLeod says even the smallest amount can cause illness.

“Some of the symptoms of a lower level of carbon monoxide exposure, they do present very similar to flu-like symptoms,” said MacLeod. “And then as you have you have exposure to higher levels, it can lead to more serious symptoms, like unconsciousness, convulsions, brain damage, and it can actually be fatal.

MacLeod says things you can do to prevent CO exposure is to have any fuel-burning appliances inspected every year, and regularly inspect any chimneys and vents to make sure they’re clear of debris.

More from 620 CKRM