The talking is about to end and the action will begin.
CFL free agency officially opens Tuesday at 11:00am. At that point every free agent will be available to move wherever he wants. That provides a ton of opportunity for the Riders.
What do we know about the Riders plans?
The team is talking very seriously to defensive tackle Micah Johnson. Sources tell The Sports Cage that negotiations between Johnson and the Riders are going well. Micah played for the Riders in 2019 before signing in BC before the 2020 season. The 32 year old could quickly find himself back in green.
Another player to watch is Regina’s own Evan Johnson. The former Saskatchewan Huskies offensive lineman has played three seasons in Ottawa. He’s shown versatility, starting in three different positions for the Redblacks (mostly left guard, but also right guard and right tackle). Evan is 26 years old and could play right guard for the Riders.
The Riders have several holes on defense that need to be filled. At a minimum they include all three linebacker spots and at American defensive tackle.
The Riders have 10 remaining free agents:
LB Cameron Judge
– West nominee for Most Outstanding Canadian in 2019. Riders GM Jeremy O’Day says Judge is still exploring NFL opportunities. Losing him may require the Riders to change their ratio.
LB Solomon Elimimian
– Started 16 games (including playoffs) in 2019. 2019 West Division All Star.
SAM Otha Foster & SAM Deon Lacey
– Both signed in advance of 2020 season. They were expected to contend for the starting job at SAM linebacker, replacing Derrick Moncrief.
DT Jeremy Faulk
– Appeared in 2 games for Riders in 2019 making 2 tackles.
FB Patrick Lavoie
– O’Day says Lavoie is not retired. But he is enjoying his new job as a firefighter.
LB Alexander Chevrier
– The 28 year old appeared in all 19 games in 2019 playing special teams.
K Brett Lauther
– O’Day says Lauther will also continue to investigate NFL opportunities.
P Jon Ryan
– Opted out of 2020 season. The 39 year old Regina native showed he can still play.
DB Tevin Mitchel
– Played two games for Hamilton in 2019. Signed with Riders for 2020 before opting out.
The Riders will have until 9:00am Tuesday to make offers to the listed players.