Fatal house fire deemed accidental

Regina’s fire department says the fire that killed one person earlier this week was ‘accidental.’

The fire happened in a home on Monday in the 1700 block of Quebec Street.

City of Regina Fire Marshal Randy Ryba said the fire started while someone was trying to light a cigarette.

“We have concluded the fire was unintentional, and the cause of the fire was the misuse of an open flame device while lighting a cigarette.”

Ryba said the victim ignited ‘some combustible materials’ with a butane torch that were intimate to her.

A second person in the house was injured, but Ryba said their injuries were “not severe.”

The death marks the first fire fatality in 18 months in Regina.

More from 620 CKRM