People ordered out of apartment building in Moose Jaw, for safety reasons

An apartment building has been evacuated, because it doesn’t meet fire code.

According to the City of Moose Jaw the downtown building  at Stadacona Street and First Avenue was not meeting fire codes.

The city noted there was a also a gas leak in the building at the time of the inspection

Other safety risks noted include windows that cannot be opened, deteriorating exterior flooring on fire escapes, suites that do not have doors or locks, and accumulation of combustibles, some of which are blocking emergency exits. Also, gas to the entire building has been shut off, and power has been turned off to the common areas of the apartment building.

The city is working with social services, and the John Howard society to make sure everyone has a place to go.

The official evacuation order went into effect this (Tuesday) afternoon, and its not clear when or if the people who live there will be allowed to return.

More from 620 CKRM