Cause of explosion and fire at Luiggi’s Pasta House released

The cause behind the explosion and fire that destroyed the historic Luigi’s Pasta House last week was accidental.

After an investigation, and in collaboration with the Technical Safety Authority of Saskatchewan (TSASK), Regina Fire & Protective Services (RFPS) investigators have concluded the explosion and the ensuing fire was accidental and happened after a steel pipe became dislodged and fell from the underside of the roof deck, striking a component of the natural gas distribution system below.

This caused a central gas release and subsequent explosion. An ignition source in the mechanical room set off the explosion.

Control of the scene has been released by RFPS and turned over to the property owner.

More from 620 CKRM