SASKATOON — Saskatchewan’s flood response is shifting into recovery mode as water levels begin to recede across much of the province, though four communities remained under active local emergency declarations as of May 21.
During a Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency media briefing Thursday afternoon, officials said the province has moved from a broad emergency response toward recovery and infrastructure repair after weeks of widespread flooding damaged homes, roads, bridges and farmland.
“In the months of April and May this year, the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency received 45 declarations of local emergency and over 45 designations for disaster assistance through the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program or PDAP,” said Public Safety Minister Michael Weger.
As of Thursday morning, the SPSA said four local emergency declarations remained active, down from a peak of 45 declarations earlier in the flooding event.
The SPSA also reported it is currently supporting 21 active flooding incidents, including five communities receiving flood mitigation equipment.
Water Security Agency officials said water levels are receding on most major river systems, including the North and South Saskatchewan rivers, but some areas continue to face elevated water conditions.
“What we’re seeing across the province, flows on many of the rivers, the water’s starting to recede,” said Shawn Jaques, president and CEO of the Water Security Agency.
However, Jaques said higher flows continue along the Churchill River system and Lac La Ronge near La Ronge, where water levels are still rising.
He added the province remains concerned about strong winds and wave action affecting recreational lakes already experiencing above-normal water levels.
The province identified some of the hardest-hit regions as stretching from Meadow Lake across northern Saskatchewan toward Yorkton, including areas around Prince Albert, the Quill Lakes and parts of the province’s northern fringe.
“There’s a lot around Prince Albert,” Jaques said of infrastructure damage.
The Ministry of Highways said all northern communities cut off by flooding and washouts now have restored access, though some routes remain reduced to single-lane traffic or detours.
Temporary bridge structures are already in place south of Foam Lake and near Brancepeth, while a third temporary crossing is under construction over the Smoothstone River on Highway 165 following a bridge collapse earlier this month.
The temporary Smoothstone bridge is expected to open by the end of May, weather permitting, and will operate with single-lane traffic.
The Ministry of Highways also confirmed washed-out roads disrupted mail and parcel delivery services in communities including Pelican Narrows and Sandy Bay earlier this week, though alternate routes have since been established.
Municipalities across Saskatchewan are now turning their attention toward repairs and rebuilding.
SPSA officials said rural municipalities dealing with major infrastructure losses can apply for advance payments through the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program to assist with cash flow before repairs begin.
The province has not yet estimated the total financial cost of the flooding.
“We are currently working with municipalities, local authorities to get adjusters, engineers and appraisers in the field to do proper assessment of the damages incurred,” said SPSA vice-president of recovery Noel Epp.









