ESTEVAN — William Joshua Curtis, charged in a shooting in 2024, appeared in Estevan Provincial Court through CCTV on Aug. 17.
His attorney Aleida Oberholzer came in over the phone to discuss his matters. Oberholzer stated that she had been waiting to hear from the Crown after Curtis' previous appearance July 20. That information has not been provided to her.
"I was hoping to have some sort of response by today about their position," Oberholzer said.
Crown prosecutor Travis Avery was not in attendance on Aug. 17, and fellow Crown attorney Suzan Wurtz said Avery was in discussions with the head office to determine the Crown's position. Avery had asked for an adjournment.
Oberholzer expressed concern over the delay, but the matter was ultimately adjourned to Sept. 14 in Estevan Provincial Court, where Curtis will appear through CCTV.
Curtis has been charged with one count each of attempted murder by discharging a firearm; pointing a firearm; discharging a firearm; aggravated assault; possession of a weapon for the purpose of committing an offence; uttering threats; manufacturing ammunition while unauthorized; and possession of a firearm while prohibited; and two counts of manufacturing a firearm while unauthorized.
Background: The incident, which occurred on April 8, 2024, was in the 1600-block of Third Street and an armed male suspect that fled the scene, according to Estevan Police Service. Curtis was apprehended and is now in custody at the Regina Correctional Centre.
In December 2024, Curtis was deemed unfit to stand trial, and was remanded to the Saskatchewan Hospital, a psychiatric facility in North Battleford. He was declared fit to stand trial earlier this year. His case has been reviewed in court several times since.
SaskToday will continue to monitor this story.









