REGINA – Premier Scott Moe says that Saskatchewan is supporting Canada's response following the collapse of the trade talks with the United States.
Moe issued the statement Saturday after negotiations between Canada and the USA broke off late Friday night, resulting in the imposition of 50 per cent US tariffs on several Canadian goods.
On Saturday, Moe took part in a virtual First Minister's meeting with the rest of the Premiers as well as Prime Minister Mark Carney, where the collapse of trade talks were the prime topic.
According to a news release from the Prime Minister's Office, Carney outlined "next steps to protect Canadian interests, including dollar for dollar counter-tariffs that will come into force the Tuesday after Labour Day, as well as additional measures to support Canadian workers and businesses impacted by U.S. tariffs." The PMO stated that details will be released in the coming days.
The statement from the PMO also said that Prime Minister Carney "underscored that Canada is strongest when governments stand together." He emphasized continued collaboration with provincial and territorial governments, with the PMO stating that the Team Canada approach "has been essential in navigating the challenging times since the start of this trade war."
The following is the statement issued by Premier Moe on Saturday afternoon on social media, shortly after that virtual meeting of the First Ministers.
"As of today, the United States is violating the CUSMA trade deal.
"The new 50 per cent US tariff on some Canadian goods are a clear violation of CUSMA and a clear indication that the current US administration cannot be trusted to live up to its own trade deals.
"Over the past few days, the Canadian government, was the support of all Premiers, was working towards a deal that would've avoided those new tariffs and reduce some of the tariffs previously imposed by the United States.
"Last-minute changes by US negotiators, undermine the fairness and reliability of the deal.
"Saskatchewan has also been clear that any attempt by the United States to influence or place conditions on Canada's trade relationships with other nations is a non-starter.
"Decisions about who Canada trades with must be made by Canada. Saskatchewan, more than any other province, is diversifying its trade to other countries, and that will not be compromised.
"For those reasons, the Prime Minister made the right decision to not accept an unfair and unreliable deal, and we support the Prime Minister's decision to enact dollar for dollar counter tariffs on targeted US products.
"Let's be clear. This won't be easy. All tariffs hurt real businesses and kill real jobs, on both sides of the border. They drive up the cost of living for families. That's why we should always be doing everything we can to avoid, reduce and remove tariffs. I believe the federal government did that. But in the end, the US administration chose to stick with this failed economic policy, and Canada must respond accordingly.
"Saskatchewan supports Canada's response."
In a statement Saturday morning, Opposition Leader Carla Beck accused Moe of not working towards a plan to respond to the tariffs from the Americans.
"On Tuesday, Scott Moe celebrated and declared that a trade deal had been reached. Now we know there is no trade deal, and Donald Trump will impose job-killing tariffs on our industries starting today. This is the time to fight back – starting with immediately removing American alcohol from Saskatchewan shelves. It was both a mistake and act of cowardice to re-shelve it in the first place as Scott Moe did last year.
"But Scott Moe has refused to fight back — instead, he’s been the first and fastest to cave into Trump's demands. He was the first to demand that Canada not respond to Trump’s economic warfare. And he was the first to fly to celebrate the biggest cheerleader of Trump's tariffs, Lindsay Graham – one of the architects of the unfair tariffs that killed more than 100 jobs at the sawmill in Big River.
"We need a plan to respond and defend our economy and workers. If Scott Moe had been working towards such a plan instead of celebrating, we would be in a stronger position. Saskatchewan people have been standing up for Canada since this trade war began.It's long past time the Premier of Saskatchewan stood with them."









