TUMBLER RIDGE — The British Columbia government says portable facilities will begin arriving in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., to allow children to return to school after six people were killed at the community’s high school last week.
The B.C. government says in a news release that the new facilities will be set up on the grounds of nearby Tumbler Ridge Elementary school.
It says the single-wide trailers will be the first phase in the resumption of classes in a safe environment for Tumbler Ridge Secondary students.
Chad Anderson, the chair of the Peace River South School Board, says they know routine and community are important to many in the aftermath of the tragedy.
The statement says the first buildings arriving Monday will be the bathroom trailers, followed by the classroom units on Tuesday and Wednesday, but it’s expected to take several days to set up the units with heating, water and furnishings.
Five pupils and a teacher’s aide were shot dead at the school last Tuesday by 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar, after she killed her mother and 11-year-old half brother at their home.
The statement says a date for classes to resume hasn’t been confirmed.
“School officials recognize and respect the fact that some members of our school communities are looking forward to getting together again soon, while others may need more time,” the statement says.
It says more-spacious double-wide school trailers will arrive in the coming weeks to serve Tumbler Ridge Secondary until community input, expert advice and future plans can be confirmed.
B.C. Infrastructure Minister Bowinn Ma says they are working round-the-clock to ensure the school district has what it needs to support the students and their families.
Counsellors will support staff and students in the safe transition to these new buildings, the statement says.
Once classes resume, counsellors will be available at the new school site, while counselling and trauma supports continue to be available at Tumbler Ridge Community Centre.
B.C. Premier David Eby had pledged to pupils last week that “not one of you will ever be forced to go back to that school.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 16, 2026.
The Canadian Press











